PDA

View Full Version : Low light plants vs bright light?

Erk
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 03:20 PM
Im curious, if you have bright light (3-4 wpg) and you plant "low light" required plants in the tank, can they survive or will they fry in time? I know I can always plant plants that will shade them, but do I have to shade them so they live?

As always Thanks for your input!

Roy
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 09:36 PM
Ive had Crypts and Anubias under a halide before, they grew fine without additional shade however the leaves will be smaller as they dont need as large a surface area due to the extra light.

Roy

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:15 PM
ANOTHER PROBLEM IS LOW LIGHT ARE OFTEN SLOW GROWING AND SO THEY CAN GET OVER RUN BY ALGAE (E.G NANA MINIATURE)

scott bowler
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 07:09 AM
hi guys i think that not many people know witch plants are low light and bright light plants and spend good money on plants just to have them die .i think it would be a good idea if some of the plant lovers would post some of the plants to give others some ideas , and on the topic i have a bright tank but dont have probs growing both it is about plant placement. to give some plants some shade so the have a chance too , cheers scotty

Grae
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 09:08 AM
Hi guys

thats a cool question.
I wont try to answer the question but will share my experiences.

I grow so called low light plants under metal halides.
ie anubias ,java fern and lots of crypts.

I think its possible to grow so called low light plants under high light but not so much high light plants under low light.

Lighting can be a limiting factor, and some plants are able to cope with it.Others either die or get algae covered.

hope that helps a little.

Graeme

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:28 AM
Good call scott, I'm working on a list now actually, just having trouble sorting everyones diffrent classifications of Low med and High light

scott bowler
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:39 AM
cool illusn that may put a few people on the right track . and save some of us some of the green we have to work so hard for hehe

martraci
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:51 AM
mmm green..

fish_r
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:00 PM
surely u guys know about this site.
it has all plants by there Lighting Requrements
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=1

Erk
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for your input guys! This is a great site!!! :D

scott bowler
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:38 PM
rob your a plant geek arent you hehe love those plant sites lol

duck
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:27 AM
Im curious, if you have bright light (3-4 wpg) and you plant "low light" required plants in the tank, can they survive or will they fry in time? I know I can always plant plants that will shade them, but do I have to shade them so they live?

As always Thanks for your input!
Yes they will be fine,a little shade will help,plus with that level of lighting you will need CO2,they will grow faster than if you kept them with low lighting.

fish_r
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 07:27 AM
rob your a plant geek arent you hehe love those plant sites lol
yep and not afraid to admit it lol i am a total GEEK :lol:
"just dont look it" i dont think hehe...

scott bowler
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 07:31 AM
that is a cool site looking at it before it has heaps of info . wish you showed me sooner would have saved me heaps hehehe . hope all is well mate

fish_r
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 07:39 AM
that was the first real plant site i got into and if u have a look around there's heaps of good info on there and lots to read :) will keep u buisy for a while :)

Erk
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:21 PM
CO2 will be here monday, I cant wait! Im turning into a plant geek too! hahaha :shock:

Thanks a lot for all your help!

fish_r
Sun Mar 04, 2007, 07:35 AM
:):):):) yes addictive isnt it. :)

Erk
Tue Mar 06, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yes very much! Now im looking into uv's and maybe a pH controller if I can hook my co2 system up to it.....I really need to stop! hahaha

Thanks for the help!!