PDA

View Full Version : restarting your canister filter

martraci
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
whenever i clean my canister (aquaone 1000) i suffer the same dilema everytime.

the manual reccomends topping the canister up to the brim using the tiny twist cap on top and then powering it on; this has never worked.

to flow the water through i have to use the pressure of a hose to get the cycle flowing, are there any other ways people have gone about this (similar situations?)

ILLUSN
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:20 AM
mate, when the canisiter is empty disconect the output hose at the tank, and suck hard, manual prime works everytime :D

RJ_Archer
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
i found that suckin works best but make sure that u take ur mouth away in time, iv had to many bad inserdences with canister filters in that way .

Bill T
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:24 PM
I have a valves on the intake & outlet which I turn off before disconnecting the canister (comes standard with eheim canisters). Reconnect the empty canister and have the output hose open and lower than the intake level. Let this drain into a bucket until all air has been expelled. I then close the outlet valve. Reconnect & turn the pump on before quickly opening first the input then the output valves - no need to suck any more!

Baxter123
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
Easy way to prime without sucking tubes & what not.
Take the canister to the sink & fill with water to the very top ,then push the power head gently onto the canister evenly.This forces the excess water into the power head & you will get some water coming out of the inlet/outlet stubs.
Filter is now primed,plug in & away it goes.I have done this countless times on Aquaone canisters & it works every time.
If you have cleaned your hoses turn the taps to off & fill hoses as much as you can & you will find it will start without problems after reconnecting & putting taps back to on.

Cheers

Cuong
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:43 PM
If the filter isn't brand new, you'd be killing off the nitrifying bacteria when you use tap water to top it up.

I just suck and let it siphon :D

FishLover
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:51 AM
I use water treated with prime to fill up the cannister. It works for me all the time. I used to have a tough time each time I did the cleanning, not any more.

kalebjarrod
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:30 AM
simple few bits of plumbimg

put a tap on you sucktion from you tank, nice and low nearest as yu can to the canister

now put a tee piece on the outlet back to your tank, as clsoe to your canister as possible, put two taps on this tee piece

one end of the tee will now come from the canister, one will go back to your tank with a tap on it and one end will have a tap on it and lead to no-where

when you need to clean your canister turn off all taps

clean your canister and hook it back up

then turn on your tap to no-where (into a bucket) and then turn on the canister and the tap from your tank

the syphon and the canister will suck the canister free of air in a few seconds

then turn of the tap to no-where and turn back on your tank

sounds hard, but it will take you maybe 10mins to install

hope this helps :wink:

g.c.discus
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
buy a eheim with push to prime i love it. :D

RJ_Archer
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
put a pleco on the end ? :P