PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID's please?

Dave001
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 06:45 AM
Could someone please ID these plants for me?

Thanks,
Dave

scott bowler
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 07:15 AM
dave the first one looks like ludwigia repens , part of the Onagraceae family , the other looks to me to be a form of hygrophila difformis , but not shore about it the leaves look to fine all most like some cabomba sorry hope it helps cheers scott

Xtreme
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:23 AM
maybe pennywort for the first one? Or baby tears?

Proteus
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:27 AM
1st plant Scrophulariaceae Bacopa australis (I initially thought Micranthemum umbrosum however I dont think the leaf formation is dense enough)

2nd plant not sure....

FYI, Ludwigia repens has an intense red colour on the underside of the foliage and the leaves are more of a pointy oval shape rather than the rounder leaf type found in the Bacopa species

scott bowler
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:39 AM
ro i thought that it was bacopa amplexiicaulis is the one that has the intence red leave and the pointy oval shape leave . may be the first one is Lysimachia (creeping jenny)

Grae
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:47 AM
My guess on the second one is Ambulia
and I agree with Proteus on the 1st

see here
http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=043A

Graeme

scott bowler
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:55 AM
haha you would you just got in trouble haha yeah you and him may be right there is so many of them

Dave001
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

So we'll call the first one Bacopa Australis then.

Any chance the second one could be Indian Fern, it's about the closest match I can find for it?

Thanks again,
Dave

Grae
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hi Dave pretty sure its not indian fern

Does it look like this?
http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=047

Graeme

Proteus
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:18 AM
Some more pics can be found here

http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-4.htm

Dave001
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:41 AM
It's hard to tell from that picture Grae.

It's definitly not Ambulia Proteus, I already have Ambulia in the tank and this stuff is a lot thicker in the leaves.

Here's a bit better picture, the plant you can see on the very right of the pic is Ambulia, to give you an idea of how wide the leaves are.

Thanks,
Dave

Erk
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:16 PM
The first one looks like Cardimine (Creeping Charlie) just picked some up myself last night...or as scott bowler said Creeping Jenny?

Sorry im no help on the second one

Dave001
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:27 AM
Well it seems Proteus was right on the money with both plants.

The second plant is in fact Ambulia, all the new leaves on it are exactly the same as my other Ambulia plant. I've never seen a plant change so much in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the replies. :)

Dave

Proteus
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:54 AM
Plants quite often have massive changes as most are grown under hydroponic systems. Once they are submersed they tend to die off or melt a bit and new foliage can be totally different.