PDA

View Full Version : Questions on new 6x2x2 Discus Setup

Greggy
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:03 AM
Hi Discus Lovers!

Although this is my 1st post I have been reading the forums (and many other Discus related web sites) for several months, and once the bug bit I just had to go and get set up for Discus again!

History: I succesfully kept 3 Discus in a 3'x18"x18" tank back in the ealy 1990's (when I was still living with my parents) for over two years without problems but lost them all due to a wipeout/pH crash (caused by neglect). Since then that same tank has been a very successful community tank that I still maintain to this day for my parents even though I moved out of home more than 10 years ago! Mum & Dad prefer that I look after their tank as I (sort of) know what I am doing when it comes to aquariums... still have alot to learn though!

Anyway, now I am much older (and wiser?) and I'm currently cycling (3rd week) my brand new 6'x2'x2' aquarium and getting it ready for Discus!

The current setup is as follows:

Tank: 6'x2'x2' 12mm
Filters: 1x Eheim Professional 2228 and 1x Eheim 2227 Wet & Dry
Gravel: Natural gravel 2" deep (minimum)
Lights: 2x 4' doubles (middle) and 2x 1' singles (one each end) all on timers
Heaters: 2x 300Watt
Temp: 29C and steady
pH: currently ~ 7.2 aiming for ~ 6.8
NH3: Just starting to get readings
NO2: Nil
NO3: Nil
Hardness: Hard! (as is common with tap water in Perth's northern suburbs)
Fish: 9 Black Neon Tetras and 4 "Peppered" Cory Catfish (all cheap 'cylcing fish' but nice just the same)
Notes: Planted, aiming for heavily planted. All plants & fish are really healthy at this early stage.

I plan on keeping the above 'cycling fish' and adding 15 Cardinal Tetras as soon as I get Nitrate readings (i.e. when cylcing is almost finished). Then after a few more weeks... Discus at long last!

So my questions are...

- Would you change anything regarding my setup? If so what?
- Should I consider a UV sterilizer?
- Should I use an air stone? (I have plenty of surface agitation already)
- What water change cycle would you suggest? I am thinking 100L once per week (I don't want to be a slave to the tank)
- And finally, how many Discus would be appropriate for my tank if I want to err on the side of caution?

Looking forward to hearing your replies whether they bring me good or bad news!!!! :)

Regards,

Greggy

iro11a
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 04:22 AM
Hey mate congrats on your new tank as soon as i get my own place i will be gettng the same size tank as you.

Regarding the UV yes get one for sure getting discus since i have purchased mine i had no problems with the discus once you get the tank cycled i would do a 25% water change for fresh water and after that i would only do 50% every week or second week wouldt hurt because you got such a large mass of water.

If it was my tank for a 6x2x2 footer i would look at around 10-12 discus hope that helped mate and good luck with the set up.

Jono

the german
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 08:37 AM
welcome to the forum greggy.

i think your setp is ok.
airstone,when you have enough surface movement you dont need one.
i never use them because i have plenty of surface movement,but
many poeple use them just for safety reasons,and in a planted tank
it can look very nice.
UV cat hurt.
IMO one fish per 50l is the optimal amount.

michael

scott bowler
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 08:50 AM
welcome Greggy it all looks good to me too and a uv yes would be good how ever you are going to get a big one for a tank that size .im sorry michael i disagree i think that a airstone is a must not just to break the surface but to move more water and put oxygen in to the water , sorry mick but other then that it is sorted very well good on you

the german
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:02 AM
hi scott
i mean everybody has different opinions,i dont use them not even in my breeding tanks, i also must say that the outlets of my filters
go straight to the surface what means the water hits the glas on top of
the tanks what makes i similar to an airstone :)

scott bowler
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:04 AM
yeah oh thats cool , and must say i have run tanks like that to .

FishLover
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
Since you are concerned about the pH, I would double check the gravel to make sure it is inert.