PDA

View Full Version : Greeting from Pittsburgh, PA!

Hail2Pitt02
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:01 PM
Good afternoon everyone…or morning depending in what part of the world you are in 

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know what lead to my finding discusforums.com. I currently live outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the US. I have been keeping fish for about 8 years previous to today. I was actually starting to getting a little bored with the hobby when I decided I wanted to challenge myself, have a little fun in the process and maybe even make some coin (I would love to get out of the corporate world). I decided I wanted to take a shot at breeding discus. I just moved in my new house in July and it has a nice big basement which is just begging for fish tanks all over.

Right now I am in the R&D part of the project. I know I am going to need a R/O unit because the PH of the water around here is about 7.8. the KH is somewhat on the low side at 2. I am fairly sure I can manage those issues but what scares me a little is the water changing regiment. I have always done weekly 50% water changes in my other tanks which most of the time kept nitrates under 20 ppm but I do not want to have to manually change water on 10-15 tanks daily. I am looking to build some type of automated water changing device/ wet/dry central filtration device. If I can figure out a way to do that then I will go ahead with my plans.

My concept is this….I would like to start with two different strains, right now I am thinking Red Panda or Pigeon Bloods and Blue Diamonds. I figure this will give me a nice contrast. I will by 6-7 immature discus of each variety and start them in their own 75 gallon tank until they are of breeding age/size. Once I can distinguish some breeding pairs I will move them into their own 30 gallon tanks. Hopefully when I have a fry I will love them into the rest of the 30s and 75s to grow them out. I am thinking I might need some more large tanks to grow out the fry. I will probably custom make their food from a recipe a breeder gave me (nasty stuff but his results are amazing).

My last concern is going to be feeding young fry. I can not get around my day job so I don’t see myself being able to feed fry more than 3 times a day. Once in the morning, again when I get home from work, and last one more time before I head to bed. Oh well…every problem has a solution somewhere.

The info I have taken from the site has been extremely helpful. I look forward to sharing my progress with everyone and learning a lot from what everyone has to offer.

scott bowler
Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hail2Pitt02 welcome to the forum , sounds like you have very big plans ,good on you i hope it all goes well keep us posted and give us some pics from time to time to show us ,just ask as you go for any help you may need there are people here that may me able to help. again good luck it sounds great