PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done their own T5 lighting?

fiftycal
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:09 AM
Ive seen on a few online stores parts to do your own t5 lighting. It works out pretty cheap I think, seeing how 2 pairs of waterproof endcaps, 2 54w reflectors, and a phillips ballast works out around $140. Thats not including tubes. Of course wiring, a plug and switches would need to be added on.

Has anyone done this? I'm no electrician. How difficult is it to do? Is it safe or effective?

Cheers

fiftycal
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:41 AM
Hmmm looks as if I will need to find an electrician to get it certified.

Looks like I will just have to buy 2 x 4ft doubles then, since 5ft tubes seem hard to find

ellwa
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:12 PM
if its for personal use, you wont need to certify it.

but its worth having a sparky look at it, to make sure you're not going to be coming home to either a tank full of boiled fish, or a burnt down home.

Proteus
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:33 PM
Just make sure it is safe...

an FYI re DIY electricals.

A house in Adelaide was burnt to the ground last week due to home made heating systems in a bunch of reptile enclosures. Aside from the tragedy of losing a home, and all the reptiles, when the investigation was done they found the fault of the fire, and due to the fact it could be proven that the work was not done by an electrician, the home insurance was null and void... sucks to be them

fiftycal
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:05 AM
Thats why im not gonna risk it.

Its not worth risking hundreds of thousands or millions in house just to save maybe $200