PDA

View Full Version : Setting up?

Flip03
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:26 AM
I was wanting to set up my first discus tank as i have been keeping fish for around 3 years now and looking for a new challenge.

So my questions are, where do i start? What do i need? How bigger tank do i need to start as a beginner?

I love planted tanks, so what substait do i need to do a planted tank?

scott bowler
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:45 AM
hi Flip03 good to see you would like to take the plunge ,it can be very rewarding, as far as a tank 4ftx 2ft x2ft is a good size to to keep discus in . you need a good filter asa have some good fillters there .you need some ph buffer ,it good to get some medication just to have incase , heater ,light , as far as substait that is up to you i use a mix of sand and white cruch pebbles i got all that from the hardware store , some people say pool filter sand is good . others send lots of money on substait its up to you .then you need to get plants there are some great plants that can put up with the high temps and low ph . well that all i can think of so good luck with it . ( air pump would be good too, and a water ageing barrel too) there is more but that will get you started . ps were are you located

Flip03
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the info! That should keep me busy for a little while!!lol

What kinda filter do I use? and what brand?

I am in Adelaide! :?

scott bowler
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:25 AM
i run fluval , but eheim.sacem, any of them will do the job you can order thall of them from Asa

Flip03
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:27 AM
Do you have asa website addy?

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:31 AM
Here's a link to a post on filters:
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68584&highlight=#68584

Of course, there's always the sump alternative, which I've read on here may be a more professional alternative. Being a bit of a newbie myself I've gone the Eheim.

You could try having a look at the prices of some of the online sponsers here - I found they were shockingly cheaper than the lfs in Adelaide that I visited! (Oh, and some of the sponsers even have them on sale!)

HTH

scott bowler
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:32 AM
it on this site the prices a awsome you wont bet them look under classafieds http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au

fiftycal
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just got a Sacem Marathon 2000 from www.aquariumproducts.com.au, which is a sponsor.

Not the most user friendly, but for $150 for that size, power and quality, you cant go wrong.

It is 1850L/h, with a 10L capacity. It says it comes with biomedia, but its only 1 tray. There are 6 trays. 2 trays come with coarse filter sponge, and 1 comes with fine floss.