PDA

View Full Version : Aeration Question: Airpump/Bubbler--Pointless or Necessity?

paulmi
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
I have read in different places (including a topic this website) that an airpump connected to a bubbling device such as a wand or airstone, via tubing, creates no real effect on a fishtank's oxygen level, and in fact is considered by some to be unnecessary or simply a decoration, at best.

Other sources (including a topic on this website) suggest that a bubbler set-up is a basic aquarium componant, which ensures fish receive the proper amount of oxygen.

Knowing that discus require good water oxygenation, I'm seeking advice that will settle this issue.

I have read that cannister filters compete with fish for oxygen when not fitted with spray-bar attachements.

Assuming, then, the bare minimum, with use of a filter that uses an intake near the bottom of a tank and a return at the water line (such as an Aquaclear 500/110, in a 75 gallon aquarium), with a very thin layer of substrate and several plants, is an airpump/bubble-wand pointless or is it actually a requirment?

Thanks in advance.

the german
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
you get oxigen in your water thru surface movement.
you can do that with a "bubbling device" or simply
with your pump when you put the outlet close to the surface
what creates a lot of movement but you have to make sure that
there is enough movement so it is better for most poeple to
use bubbler.

FishLover
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 05:31 PM
Pointless IMHO if you have enough surface movement. I position my spreay bars just below the surfaace, aimping the water holes up and you can see water movement all the time. No need for an air pump. I now use the air pump to move water around in my storage container when doing the water changes.

There was an article on TFH few months back about this same issue. The conclusion was the same: Enough surface movement, no need for air pumps.

paulmi
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks for replying.

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:27 AM
Remember that at higher temperatures, like we use for discus, that the water holds less oxygen.

You can never have 'too much' oxygen in the water.

I have an air pump on every tank.

:P

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:34 AM
Isnt an air pump bad for a planted tank, or is that another myth?

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:56 AM
:lol: Wondered how long it would be before a planted tank enthusiast picked me up on that point :lol:

If you have a lot of surface movement in a planted tank, it blows off the CO2 that the plants require for growth, so those injecting CO2 into their planted tanks don't like air stones of any kind, because it removes CO2 from the water before the plants have a chance to utilize it.

It's a very fine balancing act, but usually heavily planted tanks are understocked, so the oxygen demands of the fish are not so great.

In general terms, if your main concern is the discus, then use an airstone.

Having said that, I have planted tanks with CO2 injection and an airstone running, and the plants still thrive and need weekly trimming.

Just remember that discus have a high oxygen requirement to thrive.

The water they come from in the Amazon has very little vegetation, and a very high oxygen content.

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:01 AM
Ah ok.

So more money for me to spend on a good quality airpump lol