PDA

View Full Version : Temperature --- How are you keeping it stable?

Primordius
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 02:51 AM
One of my ongoing concerns is temperature. Whilst it's easy enough to heat a tank up to between 25-29 deg C. I've been pulling my hair out to find ways to lower it below 30 deg C on those really hot days. Chillers, Misters and Air Conditioners are can be expensive to buy and run... What methods do you employ to cool your tank?

nicholas76
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 03:34 AM
im curious what parts of the world are you from??

your temperature surely couldnt deviate that much could it??

if its only a degree or two then id leave it and not stress to much about it.

jim from sydney
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 04:11 AM
One of my ongoing concerns is temperature. Whilst it's easy enough to heat a tank up to between 25-29 deg C. I've been pulling my hair out to find ways to lower it below 30 deg C on those really hot days. Chillers, Misters and Air Conditioners are can be expensive to buy and run... What methods do you employ to cool your tank?

switch the lights off

open the top let the hot air above the waterline circulate

dont worry too much if the water goes up in temp a bit, gradual changes wont worry the discus.

cheers.

Primordius
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:10 AM
I live in Brisbane, Australia. At night, it can get cooler, about 15-20 deg C. During the day, it's scorching at the moment; between 30-35 deg C most days.

I've seen the tank go from 25 deg to 31 in one day. The room is not cooled, save for concrete on the floor. I just don't want to come in and find strange diseases on my fish or even worse; dead because of heat stress or something.

The lights are always off, except for night time. Even then, I don't usually run the fluro above the tank. It will be on the side or the above light will be on.

Was just wondering if anyone else (perhaps only in Queensland, Australia) had temperature issues and how they were handled.

the german
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:31 AM
i live in perth and its very hot here sometimes.
when your tank goes up o 32 should be easy is no prob for the fish just open the lid and it schold stay arround 30.

fish_r
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 07:50 AM
what size heater do u have ? and what is the size of ur tank ?
i really think u should buy a chiller, living in Qld
and it just so happens i have one i'm trying to sell :lol: :lol: :lol:
only a joke about the chiller hehe, but i do have one for sale if ur interested ?
with the chiller and a good heater ur temp would be constant at what ever u set the chiller too "something to think about"
chiller is $400 "payed $650 odd and only a few mths use...

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 07:53 AM
I've stopped worrying about it, period! I live in Qld and all 50 odd tanks are between 30 and 32c right now. My pairs still spawn after a water change and the grow outs, although panting a bit heavier than normal, are all fine. I've had tanks in previous years up to 35c and they handle it. Discus are much hardier than people give 'em credit for. Just relax and keep feeding them, they'll be fine.
MAC

k9outfit
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 03:16 PM
I've taken milk or juice jugs, frozen water in them, then plopped them into the sump. I also have the sump lid off, with a fan blowing across the top. ....Although, that only works on tanks with sumps. :wink:

scott bowler
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:54 AM
oh ok how is it working for you. Mac did you not tell us a story about this sort of thing haha.

jim from sydney
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:55 AM
I agree with MAC..........the discus dont worry about gradual changes.......normally the owner is too worried........relax man and enjoy, why create worries when none exist????

have a few beers in that nice part of the world you are in and enjoy.

cheers

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:24 AM
I did Scott? What story was that?

And if it gets too hot Primo, throw 'em a bottle of Bubble Bath and a stiff brush! I was only joking right!
MAC

scott bowler
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:27 AM
yeah it was a joke you told us about a guy trying to cool the fish by put it frozen bottles of water in his tanks . i thougth it was you it was funny . iknow hes putting it in the sump .

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:37 AM
Hahahaha, yes it was, bit like the guy that got fed up with repeatedly putting frozen bottles in the tank so he just stuck the whole freezer straight in there and then wondered why his house blew up. I made that up :lol:
MAC

Primordius
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:32 AM
I did Scott? What story was that?

And if it gets too hot Primo, throw 'em a bottle of Bubble Bath and a stiff brush! I was only joking right!
MAC

You read my mind.

It's either that or take a hose to them while they're playing on the swings. It's hot these days!

kalebjarrod
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
don't worry to much about the heat, just turn off your lights if you have some big MH or similar

just make sure you have a good air flow so the little guys don't run out of oxygen :wink:

ellwa
Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
I used to freak out when my tank temp would rise from 26-27 to 31-32 in summer last year, and then I just figured, well, I'll just run the temp at about 29-30, and the discus love it.

so, turn your temp up, so when it does fluctuate, it isn't such a big swing.

and then, enjoy your discus!

Bad Inferno
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:37 PM
See the following trend, ambient ver tank temp and you can correlate the rise in ambient ver rise in tank temp. This from this morning Sat 3rd feb

rob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/degc1d-1.png

paulibius
Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:07 AM
Aircons are prob the cheapest ways to controll temp if you got a few tanks. Buy a box one which are real cheap. And power isn't very much when keeping high temps.

Cheers Paul