PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Albino

ivo
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:17 AM
Does anyone know the origin of Albino? what strains did they cross to produce such beautiful fish? I don't know the answer but love to know some history of albino.

the german
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:28 AM
i think there are very very white :lol:

tao
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:05 PM
the first albino is not from crossing. A HK hobbist had 20 albino mution from a pair of brown. then sold to HK breeder Mr Chen. after they geting more, then the other breeders started to cross with all the other species.

DiscusEden
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
Is the albino gene recessive to every other colour type?

Is the albino gene sex linked recessive, or just carried on a normal alelle (?sp)/gene? Is it a simple dominant/recessive picture, or is this varient using more than one gene?

The discussion around albinos being a "weak" strain - is that because of the inbreeding/line breeding to get the colour variant making other recessive problems more likely to show, or is it simply that the fry have trouble identifying and sticking to a pale coloured parent? Or something else altogether?

Just curious guys.

Also wondering if there's a book or paper that discusses or lays out what strains/colours are dominant or recessive in discus?

Hope I'm not stealing the thread too badly, but I have been wondering.

Phathead6669
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
It has been to the best of my knowledge that any specie of albino no matter what part of the animal kingdom they are from is just a lack of pigment in their skin. They also lack in other genes and such. This is why they are consider "weak" due their immune system not being as well developed as non-albino types.

cichlidfan
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
Tao,
Can you name the HK hobbyist who had the first 20 fish and is the breeder Ronald Chan

samir
Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:13 AM
This is why they are consider "weak" due their immune system not being as well developed as non-albino types.

bring on your strongest discus, my albino will whip its @ss :lol: :lol: :lol: within 5 minutes you discus will be floating sideways, clamped fins, near one of the top corners. :lol: :lol:

brew3
Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:39 AM
Tao,
Can you name the HK hobbyist who had the first 20 fish and is the breeder Ronald Chan

Hey cichlidfan,
It is not baldy, it is another person.
Mario

8-) 8-) 8-)

G-1000
Fri Jan 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
The argument that albino discus have weak immune systems is totally wrong.

Most people say that because their albinos die suddenly in certain circumstances. Remember though, albinos do not show ANY darkening and it is very difficult to diagnose any illness. For this reason, it is difficult to know when albinos are perfectly healthy and when they are completely sick so illness often comes out of the blue very quickly.

The only difference between an albino discus and other types is that the albino does not have the ability to produce black pigment. i.e it does not have a cell capable of secreting certain colours (namely black).

Albinism is a simply recessive gene which is not sex-linked. The trait is standard autosomal recessive.

HTH

G

DiscusEden
Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys, very informative!

You guys are a wealth of knowledge, and I really appreciate you sharing that!

tao
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 06:26 AM
Tao,
http://www.ky-fish.com/index.htm

samir
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
You guys are a wealth of knowledge
:shock: :shock: hope I'm not included. I can be way off at the best of times. :lol: :lol:

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 20, 2007, 06:48 AM
Yep, you are!

Learn to live with it Samir, you're just good & helpful.

Phathead6669
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 06:00 PM
This is why they are consider "weak" due their immune system not being as well developed as non-albino types.

bring on your strongest discus, my albino will whip its @ss :lol: :lol: :lol: within 5 minutes you discus will be floating sideways, clamped fins, near one of the top corners. :lol: :lol:

I hear you there my albino Pleco was the king of his tank even though he was the smallest of the three. All of them being fully grown and over 12".