PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of re-doing my setup

fishguy2727
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:55 AM
I was thinking about re-doing my setup with brown and white Estes' Marine Sand (oddly enough it does not affect pH at all) instead of the average sized gravel that is in there now. The sand would not catch debris the way the gravel does which will help keep nitrates from shooting up eventually, and I think it is a little more natural. I was also thinking about getting diffrent driftwood. I have a whole case of Malaysian driftwood from Feller Stone (5 large pieces), but was hoping there may be some better looking wood out there. What do you guys think?

the german
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:20 AM
the prob. with fine sand is that you cant clean it with a gravel vac. that means beef and sand and that is bad i tried sand over in germany and had only problems it is good for a few weeks but then....... bad.

fishguy2727
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
I don't feed beefheart, I only feed New Life Spectrum, and that goes in a bowl on the bottom of the tank. I have the same sand, just a different color, in my 150 and nothing gets below the surface.

the german
Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:16 PM
then you should have no problems with sand.

ellwa
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:04 AM
I gravel vac my sand every time I do a WC, and its sitting on a 2" bed of Flourite.

I find that the sand just settles on the top of the flourite, and my tanks never looked better than it does at the moment.