PDA

View Full Version : Tannins

elvip
Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi all!!
Just another question:
Is there any fish friendly aquarium chemical(s) that will take the tannin (yellow/brown) colour out of water??
I have a large piece of driftwood in my tank that is causing the water to go yellow/brown in colour - I know tannins are beneficial to discus, but I would just like to have lighter coloured/clearer water in this display tank.
The other question is how long will it take for the tannins to seep out of the wood and finally result in clearer water - if ever??
Cheers
Elvip :D

DiscusEden
Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:35 PM
I've heard that if you put charcoal in the filter, that will remove tannin, but also removes any medication, so shouldn't be a permenant measure.

Others may know more....

scott bowler
Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
hi elvip once you have put the wood in there is only water changes to get rid of it .did you soak it in water and bleach before you put it in? I soak the wood in bleach and water for a week then in water for a few days before i put it in my tank . that usally stop the seaphee of tannin .hope i have help a little

Liverpool_pete
Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:47 PM
elvip

Have a look at biochemzorb it works great and saved my 10foot tank from looking like a giant cup of tea. Worth the money for sure.

Peter

Proteus
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 12:06 AM
1, Water Changes

2, Carbon

3, BioChem Zorb

4, Purigen

5, Hypersorb

the german
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 02:36 AM
good driftwood shouldn't stain water,when it is sandblastet and dryed probably then it dont stain your water

Proteus
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:39 AM
good driftwood shouldn't stain water,when it is sandblastet and dryed probably then it dont stain your water

That is actually not correct. If you want a piece of wood for decorative purposes, then the sandblasted, multi rinsed and dried option works.

In some aquaria the main purpose of Driftwood is to actually provide the water with essential tannins, humic acids and trace elements. Some fish will prosper beyond belief in what we would consider to be a black water nightmare. To breed certain species of Sth American fish or Sth East Asian fish, you need to hae wood to product this, or use commercial products such as Black water extract, Cattapa leaves etc

the german
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:46 AM
thats right proteus, but i wish to control the tannis in my tanks what i
can't when i have driftwood it can be to much or just a little.
in germany i used stuff out of the pet and aquarium shops i dont know
the english word but we call it torfsubstrat i think it calls
peat substrate

Proteus
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:49 AM
You can buy peat in granules or liquid form here as well.

If you want wood for looks only, I find the bext stuff is the type washd up on the beaches... just make sure it is rinsed for a while to waterlog it and remove the excess calcium and salts.

the german
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:54 AM
you know if you can buy the substrate here as well?
i like to use natural stuff only..

Proteus
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 05:06 AM
Which substrate... there are several ways to incorporae peat into your substrate

the german
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
the one i used (don't remember the name :cry: ) was
fiberous you stick it in a stocking or similar and then in your filter
till the water have the right ph. it needed a few days.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 04:11 AM
It's called peat moss here in Australia.

Your local fish shop should be able to sell you some. It comes in pellets or in loose form, and you hang it in a stocking, and put it in your filter, just as you have done before.

the german
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 07:37 AM
thanks ladyred

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
Try Sunshine Peat, heaps cheaper than LFS ($28 for 25kg bale last time I bought it), you can get it from local nurseries. It's a Canadian Peat Moss, chemical free and it works. Just check ammonia levels from time to time as I found different bales have different ammonia levels from 0 to .25.
MAC

the german
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:17 AM
sounds good.
thanks