PDA

View Full Version : question on how to know who to buy from

discus lover01
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 01:55 AM
I have a ? seeing that there are some nasty scammers out in the world and they have taken a fair few people for a lot of cash is there a way to introduce a rating system for sellers and buyers to leave feedback so people can then see what sort of a seller this is and if they are not good then if they buy from there thats there own choice.
I am member of another forum and after these scammers just got about 4k from members of there without sending fish as they didnt have any something like this a pre warning system could be very helpfull to new buyers or new members and even members who have been around a long time.
as a scammer finds his target first before placing the ads and then the con starts but if there is something you can check out and see history would be a great thing to try stop these scammers.
Not sure if it can be done but who knows.
Just a suggestion to try stop people losing there hard earned dollars.
thanks
all

nicholas76
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 05:00 AM
kinda like an ebay thing huh?

not sure if that could work but im sure admin will look at this and try and think of somthing

thanks for your input.

samir
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 05:55 AM
so what happens if a newbie buys some fish and kills them in the first week ? does the seller get a negative feedback ?

Proteus
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:13 AM
I like the current ratings system... a member rips someone off, or does the wrong thing.... bye bye... run along now... account suspended.

(and all relevant information, such as email address, ip address, passed on to relevant authorities if required)

discus lover01
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:44 AM
if the newbie buys and they kill fish in a week then thats there fault but just a sale one that allows people to see if you are a good seller and good payer or not just basic info and a small section to allow for a small post.

nicholas76
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 07:08 AM
I think Samirs argument is based on whats stopping someone slamming someone for somthing they are not responsible for.

e.g I buy fish off you and i kill them day two. Im convinced its your fault not mine. I slam you online

i Can see your idea getting nasty

original way is the best for now i think

samir
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 07:41 AM
i think it has the potential to get ugly.

discus lover01
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
or u dont have a section to add info just a rating of good bad not good and if fish arrived alive if transport done am seeing it work well in other forum so far

Proteus
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 08:46 PM
I have seen it fail on forums more than it succeeds.

Another site that I had some involvement with tried something similar a few years ago, and it basically was the pre-cursor to the site folding, due to a group of people making false claims, then the legal threats started, and it all went downhill from there.

Over the past few years we have had issues here with sellers, and the responsible thing was done, an advisor or admin was advised of what was going on, and where needed an announcement was made, and the user had their access restricted or revoked.

There are 2 sides to every story, and a rating means very little in the big scheme of things.

discus lover01
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
thats cool it was just a thought but no worries thanks for taking time to read the post.
thanks

Merrilyn
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:08 AM
I think our current system runs pretty well.

Most people who buy fish, and are very happy with them, will tend to post photos along with a small thankyou to the seller.

Negative comments are always investigated by the admin, and appropriate action taken where needed.

Thanks for your input. We appreciate it.

undergroundcult
Tue Dec 26, 2006, 11:40 PM
any one know of any online shops are will they last the trip

Proteus
Tue Dec 26, 2006, 11:48 PM
any one know of any online shops are will they last the trip

???

Are you referring to online shops that sell fish?

undergroundcult
Tue Dec 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
yes

Proteus
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 12:02 AM
There has been or is only a couple, and unless you are just after Tetra's or Livebearers I wouldnt waste my time.

For higher end fish it is better to keep an eye on various forums (based on what you want) and see what sponsors have to offer or see what your local store has.

undergroundcult
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 12:21 AM
k thanks