PDA

View Full Version : My Aquarium

aks
Sat Dec 16, 2006, 11:19 PM
Please take a look at my setup i have a special order of plants comming next Monday so i know i need to add more plants...Still if you guys have anyother suggestions i can apply them as well...Discus seem pretty happy they have fun running all over the place.

That strange tube on the top of one pic is my CO2 geneator looks funny works well....

My photography is not very good but i just wanted to show you guys an overall layout....

iro11a
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 12:41 AM
Hey very nice setup!

What size is your tank?

Looks like you got alot of room for more stuff later on

goodluck cheers

Nathan
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:16 AM
looks good, just with the co2 an i noticed u have an airtsone in there?

the airstone will get rid of the co2 in the water so the co2 wont be doin antyhn while the airstone is on.

aks
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
i just started the airstone to make it more attractive airstone is off

antwan
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
the airstone will get rid of the co2 in the water so the co2 wont be doin antyhn while the airstone is on.

This statement is not true. Depending on the amount of CO2 being injected into the tank, and how much surface movement created by the airstone will determine how much CO2 remains inside the water.

Sure, the airstone's effect of surface agitation will cause CO2 to diffuse into the air, it will not render it completely useless.

Nathan
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:28 PM
im assuming (just assumin that is) that his co2 is yeast based, so at the level the co2 in being injected im guessn the airstone will outweigh the co2.

butr theres a lot of assumptions there

mcloughlin2
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:45 PM
My suggestions,

Tank is to dull. I'm not sure if it is becuase of tannins, the lighting or the gravel but it looks to dull and in my opinion, dirty.

I suggest you remove the tannins/fix the lighting/change the gravel to fix this problem.

If you don't, to me there would be no point in plants as the bright greens and reds are some what dulled.

Its a nice looking tank, but i just hate the colour of the water/tank.

Sam

antwan
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:56 PM
im assuming (just assumin that is) that his co2 is yeast based, so at the level the co2 in being injected im guessn the airstone will outweigh the co2.

butr theres a lot of assumptions there

Just to clear some things up here:

The air going into the tank from the airstone does not completely dissolve, in fact very little air from the airstone in the water actually diffuses into the water. The reason air stones get more oxygen into the tank is because of the surface agitation they create (gives the water column a higher surface area to volume ratio thus increasing the rate of diffusion into and out of the water).

The CO2 doesn't have to be bubbling more than the airstone for it to work. Also, having the airstone on at the same rate or higher will not render the input of CO2 useless.

I used to have an airstone going in my planted tank with CO2 running at the same time, and my plants still obviously benifited from the addition of the CO2.

This post wasn't an attempt to "get" to you Nathan, I just thought I'd clear these things up.

aks
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
Tank is too dull. I'm not sure if it is because of tannins, the lighting or the gravel but it looks to dull and in my opinion, dirty.

LOL...You know what you got me there and got it right i wasnot running a filter in there for 15 days daily 20% of water change kept discus happy...Now secondly yes the coloration was bad because i scrubbed the aquarium sides and algae came of....and i photographed it...

***Now my canister filter is up and running again at 1200 litres per hour***